Friday, September 18, 2009

Of black pen, Bullet & "Bai"

There are very few things in life that could give a child a feeling of achievement as that of the transition from using a pencil to pen. The mighty, mighty pen -the symbol of maturity. As far as I can remember, I had been using black pens (black inked or refills, not a physically black coloured pen…duh). Why?I cant entirely explain, but I have been giving it some thought lately. Maybe because I wanted to escape the uniformity of using blue pens which is so cliché. I guess you can say I have a fetish for slightly unusual (not so, but just different) things (or this could be the extension of one’s need to be unique). I remember hanging out with frens who were not so popular – like a lanky Bengali lad, one very dirty boy (he never washed his clothes on weekdays) and another who by now had been convicted. I didn’t play or enjoy football as a kid, which was and still is almost religiously followed in Mizoram. And I still don’t. But I still play active basketball when most guys my age are happy to sit back and watch EPL on TV and call themselves “sport-lovers.” (not to mean a certain wedding planner here). I drive a 2nd hand Bullet in spite of being very conscious about fuel price and mileage (the Indian effect), cos a Bullet is different and it totally rocks !! After years of ridicule, I am finally enjoying pork but I don’t go ga-ga over it or willing to kill for a piece. In fact, I have always opted for vegetarian food during my undergraduate years (very non tribal-like, I know). I don’t eat “bai” …why? don’t ask me cos I don’t know, I just don’t eat it. I don’t drink tea…tho I enjoy iced tea, and there’s a heaven n hell difference between the two. When my frens cram the whole night for a test or exam, I sleep at ten…..not because I know everything, but because I really don’t think much of last minute slogging.

I guess everyone is unique in his own way and when we learn to appreciate each others uniqueness and difference maybe we'll be better off a a species. And I write with a black pen.

8 comments:

Lawngtlai said...

...a competent and hopeful surgeon or a primary health enthusiast who chose to become a microbiologist..A guy with look west policy when our politicians are talking about look east policy.

Admin said...

No wonder, i also always put on my left shoe and socks before the right.
@Bullet: hardcore bikers usually dont sell off a bullet. I hope your bike finds a loyal biker in you. Hah.
@EPL: enjoy the 90 minutes or so of football and forget it. Kids these days go crazy over EPL and all the hypes and talk about the matches for half the week and again talk about the upcoming weekends matches for the remaining half; but in the process neglect their studies. I hate this attitute, it sucks.
@black: black pants and black shoes are universally accepted formal dress codes, so just enjoy being a black freak, just goes on to show that you are normal!!
Dr khumchikthei.
(PS: how come your favourite movie's not Man in Black, hah)

Blind Dayze said...

Wow nice post Doc!!!...Just in case.. i repeat just in case there's a whisker of a chance that you decide to take a road trip up from your place to Aizawl on our Bullet ..i'd very much like to hitch a ride...i'll pay you with iced tea and fuel :-)

Blind Dayze said...

sorry forgot the y in "your" bullet not our bullet hehee..... and hope this my hitch a ride request doesn't give out any other ideas.. it's just ive got aviophobia..and im all game for a bike road trip to the hills..

Mimihrahsel said...

tsk tsk.. no "bai".. hmmmm... I hear it brings cancer, with the "chingal" and "saum" that we add? Free counselling doc.. come'on.. :-)

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

When I was a kid I used to hate black pens because they smelled bad (or so I thought) but I am now a big fan of black gel pens.

OpaHmar said...

..Lawngtlai sounds like a certain doc fren of mine, I wonder...hmmm....

@Khumchikthei - sorry, planning to hang up my boots (bike rather) by the end of my tenure in vellore, after memorable trips to Chennai, Bangalore and ur old kingdom Pondy, this old dog shall be handed over to a hopefully more faithful bulleteer....blame it on the now Indianised mileage minded commuter biker me

OpaHmar said...

@Blind Dayze - tempting offer,I had that idea when I first got my O'Pooja(thats the name which stuck)At least from Guwahati onwards...but now....sigh...age and Indianised thinking has got the better, rather the worse of me

@Mimihrahsel - More research needed, maybe Biotech dept can do that; I hear its hot and happening there

@aduhi - yup, doesn't the contrast appear better and sheet much neater with black pens, especially if ur handwriting is not that impressive