Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What's in a name

How many times have you been asked “What is your good name?”

My “good” name? It’s Mr. I’m-getting-really-bugged-with-Indian-English; would you like to know my “bad” name as well? By the way how do you know this is not my good name? Were you expecting a better one? Or shall I tell you my worse name, umm actually that was what my teacher called me when I didn’t know who build the Taj Mahal…..I think?? Or was it the one I was called with when my dad found out I gave myself a half-day off from school, without informing the teacher…oops slipped my mind, it happens, you know!! Anyway coming back to the name bit, what’s so good in a name? I mean there is nothing bad about your name, or having a name; it’s just a name, what you are called as by your friends, colleagues and family..and the rest of the 6 billion souls ; if only they met you, and read your name tag, well if you happen to have one on when they met you, of course not all at a time, I mean that would be statistically or physically impossible; and why on earth would you be having a name tag unless you were going for a conference or an interview, in which case, you are more likely to be having a number…like in prison.

And what is this thing called “Surname” or is it “Sur name”? Whatever the correct term is, I can do without it? Me, I have my Name, my family’s name and that’s it. Of course I also got my “pet” names, shortened names modified and sometimes affectionate ones – by which I am called, hollered, yelled at or texted. But, I ask you dear sir/madam, what in the name of…umm…what in the world is a “SUR”? To me, it doesn’t sound very pleasant, reminding me of similar sounding words like “sour” or “slur”

So I ask you again dear friends, what is a “sur”? but then, what’s in a name?

15 comments:

benjamin rualthanzauva said...

me too I hate it!!

Anonymous said...

Surname: Name, title, or epithet added to a person's name, from sur meaning "above" + name. There you go!
Apart from "Whats your good name?", another Indian-ism that irritates me is when introducing themselves, they use "Myself, [Their name]".. WTF?

Mizohican said...

At least you use "Hmar" and many other Mizos have English names as well. For me, I have just one freaking name. Big pain when filling out application forms.

When people ask me what is my good name, I tell them I dont have a good name, I only have a food name. Kheema.

:D

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

I don't mind the "what is your good name" question, but what really gets my goat is "How do you pronounce your name?" (sometimes I'd reply "as it is written")and "what does your name mean?" aaargghh.... More than anything else I hate it when my name is misspelled, which happens quite often.

nancy said...

"whats your GOOD name??" haha reminds me of the many phone calls i get regarding my work. they always asked me this question.. at first i find it strange but now.. i get used to it

Tetea said...

Haha! This brings back memories. When I first went outside Mizoram the locals asked what my "GOOD" name was and I thought they meant my surname so I said I didn't have one :D

Anyway, that was waaay back. Now I know the difference but I still a problem with my name, just like illusionaire above - one name. No surname, no middle name, no initials...

Unknown said...

you should read 'the namesake'...like many of us, im sure u'd share gogol's frustration!!! arrrggghhhhh!!!!

Malsawmi Jacob said...

But 'good name' is a nice way of referring to your name, isn't it? Once we had a landlord who wanted to get some of the rent paid in advance and asked, "Let me borrow your good money!"

OpaHmar said...

@ ben - I can feel ur pain...with ur name...in south India

Admin said...

@good name: an indian way of being polite yet demanding!!
@pronounce: indian way of showing that you are the boss, and that one does not want to offend you by pronouncing your name wrongly which is inevitable.
Dr Khumchikthei

Calliopia said...

Lol Indian English at its kinkiest best. Perhaps it has its roots in some literal translation thing. We probably have a few Mizo English quirks too. Like last night we went to the death house. Cute hey? :)

OpaHmar said...

@illusionaire - yes Mr Minced Meat. Of late my name has been just Puia. Even in an international publication of a study i had participated, Puia Hmar....kinda cool

@ aduhi - Yes, the ever irritating name-meaning inquisition,,hehe. Sometime i'd just say, its just a name. After all, what do Ramu Shamu Gita & Sita mean?

@nancy - after all we are Indians, right:-)

Blind Dayze said...

maybe i've not been meeting many new people lately.. but out here where i reside people hardly ask my "good name"....

but the SURname part is where my problem arises... ive got a name from the Old Testament and a Mizo name after it... and people out here think my Mizo name is my family name..

Mimihrahsel said...

update update update! unless, Your too busy :-)

Mizohican said...

Eh. Tlangval a bem ve dan chu leh.