Thursday, May 28, 2009

UNSUNG SONGWRITERS

Of course pun intended...ur welcome

Last week witnessed the 68th birthday of Bob Dylan, the undisputed best songwriter of all times. When any self-proclaimed music pundit talks about great songwriter, his would be the first name mentioned- respect. And also Lennon, Paul Simon, John Denver, Roger Waters and relatively contemporary-Billy Joel. I would like to portray a few of my favourite songwriters (tho i'm not that into music, jus happy to listen to good tunes...i'm not a fanatic) who I believe deserve a lot of appreciation, hence I call them my UNSUNG SONGWRITERS (list is not exclusive)

1. Björn Ulvaeus - The main lyricist of the world-rocking Swedish band ABBA, his songs (as well as music) transcend all ages and music lovers everywhere. Remember FERNANDO -
Can you hear the drums fernando?
I remember long ago another starry night like this
In the firelight fernando
You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar
I could hear the distant drums
And sounds of bugle calls were coming from afar
..there was something in the air that night......

or OUR LAST SUMMER (from the movie Mamma Mia)
Those crazy years, that was the time
Of the flower-power
But underneath we had a fear of flying
Of getting old, a fear of slowly dying
We took the chance
Like we were dancing our last dance

These songs are pure delight in both music and lyrics department. Of course there is also Slipping through my fingers, Andante Andante, SOS.....i could go on and on. And dont forget, he also wrote music for a few musicals - one such is CHESS; check out One night in Bangkok & The Arbiter, they rock.

2. Jim Steinman (for Meatloaf) - Writer for the trilogy of Bat out of hell albums (the 1st installment being the 4th largest selling albums ever). I don't know much about his hardrock songs but we all know his song -I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) with that horror-cum-love-story-movie style 12min video (yes longer than November rain) and the song I cud listen over and over again Rock&roll dreams come through. And one for the ladies, the passionate It's all coming back to me now (popularised by Celine Dion) goes like-

There were hours that just went on for days
When alone at last we'd count up all the chances
That were lost to us forever

But you were history with the slamming of the door
And I made myself so strong again somehow
And I never wasted any of my time on you since then

3. Babyface (Kenneth Edmonds) - The list of stars he had worked with is amazing - Madonna, Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown, Phil Collins, Brandy, Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, Pink, Michael and Janet Jacksons (whew anyone left?) , TLC (remember the cute Left Eye), Ev Vogue...etc etc.
But I would remember him most for the songs he wrote for BoyzIIMen - End of the road which was the longest #1 on billboard charts and I'll make love to you ........respect

4. Freddy Mercury - One could laud him for his amazing vocals (best ever in my opinion) or stage performance. But dont overlook his (as well as the other Queen members) talent as a songwriter. Why, he wrote the great Bohemian Rhapsody.....need i say anything more?
Check out Good old fashioned lover boy , it rocks and the well known to the younger generation number Too much love will kill you was written by Brian May.

Other notable lyricists include Elton John, Kurt Cobain, Eminem, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Dan Seals, Tom Petty, Bono etc etc...well its a matter of opinion...in this case my blog -my opinion!






18 comments:

Rita Zoye said...

WOW...
That was insightful!!
Ka hriat loh nalh ti taka ka lo ngaihthlak liam ve mai mai te an lo ni reng.. Thank you!

Nice post!!!

makima said...

Jim Steinman is one of my all time favorite composer. And yes, he didn't get the recognition he deserved. Thanks for sharing the good news. I make it a point to spread the word myself whenever i get the chance.

And he owns the copywright to the phrase "Bat Out Of Hell", not Meatloaf

makima tho said...

and oh... It's All Coming Back to Me was inspired by Wuthering Heights

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

My favorite line from I'd Do Anything For Love is "Can you colorize my life I'm so sick of black and white?" The song has a way of getting stuck inside your head. Eveybody you mentioned are great songwriters. Diane Warren writes great love songs. Tracy Chapman, Alanis Morisette, Bee Gees, Paul McCartney are others that come to mind right now. I love all songwriters, good, bad, average, famous, unknown, because I couldnt write a single song myself, Im just not musically gifted. Before the Internet made everything easy I used to spend hours copying down lyrics, filled up endless songbooks... all gone now. As of now the song that is stuck inside my head is Taylor Swift's Hey Stephen -

"Hey Stephen
I could give you fifty reasons
Why I should be the one you choose
All those other girls
Well they're beautiful but
Would they write a song for you?"

Mimihrahsel said...

First of all, i had to stop my music to read through this post, really interesting. Coz i the "kiddo" didnt know many of what you've written here. I never paid much attention to the songwriters, though i love their songs.
Bob Dylan, i love his lyrics but not his voice (no offence- makima tho).
Mamma mia movie - my neices fav.
@aduhi: haha.. i too remember writing down the lyrics, rewinding over and over again until i could get the right word..

OpaHmar said...

@Rita Zoye - thanks-a-lot, i believed that these guys deserve a lot of credits cos usually all we know are songs and singers

OpaHmar said...

@makima - yeah Jim Steinman was a genius in his own right, even I didnt know much about him, tho i have always admired his works as sung by Meatloaf, I looked him up after It's All Coming Back to Me....and yes Wuthering heights it is

I havent mentioned Andrew Lloyd Webber btw.....completely slipped my mind

@Aduhi - yes..and this...Will you make me some magic, with your own two hands?
Can you build an emerald city with these grains of sand?
Can you give me something I can take home?
Diane Warren - i looked up...respect
And remember the songbooks or yearbooks which we used to adore in high school

Malsawmi Jacob said...

Somehow i seem to have given up listening music, don't know why. Bob Dylan,for all his reputation, i don't remember anything 'cept Tambourine Man. John Denver & Abba lyrics are lovely. The rest in your list escaped me.

dr_feelgood said...

Ka on line loh chhungin i lo post thar leh a, kan comment ve leh hram ang a, kan in ti senior lawk ang e! Andrew LLoyd Webber production 'Jesus Christ Superstar" hi '74 khan 'live' in ka en ve tawh. A vinyl double album kha kan nei thin a, ka ngaithla nasa thei khawp mai. Rock opera ah chuan a tluk a la awm lovin ka hria.
You have very discerning taste in music composers.Try Leonard Cohen- Canadian composer and singer, his 'Hallelujah' made quite a stir a couple of years back.

OpaHmar said...

@ mesjay - Ah surely u must know Blowin in the wind. And of course i do understand if my list is not familiar to you, thats y i call them unsung.

@ dr_feelgood - yes i did realise my unfair omission of Andrew LW so i acknowledged him in my first comment reply. Leonard Cohen chu ka hre ve, but thats about it.

Mizohican said...

You forgot J.H. Vanlalngheta - "Beautiful Angel" :-)

Blind Dayze said...

nice list....and like dr_feelgood has mentioned, Leonard Cohen is also one great singer/songwriter whose songs you should listen to more...

In the metal/rock related department... bands like Dreamtheatre[Portnoy/Petrucci main writers], LambofGod[Randy Blythe],Otep [Otep Shamaya] ...are some i personally can think of at the top of my head with interesting lyrics..

I would say the lyrics of these metal bands tend to be ignored or maybe im wrong...but definitely i would put a handful of the songwriters of metal bands under the unsung songwriters category...

Makima leh bawk said...

Speaking of Dream Theater, I think Kevin Moore was the best lyricist before he left. Eventho he didn't write much, the ones he wrote are really... umm, "dark" and "deep". A solo album a mi ho pawh hi turu khp mai.

Then there's Neil Peart from Rush

OpaHmar said...

@illusionaire - Mangheta hi nia a thiam reuh khawp mai, tho lyrics leave a little more to desire

@makima em em - dreamtheater hi chu durtlanga i fans te nen hi chuan in lawm ve a ni tiro

@Blind Dayze - thanks a lot, i always feel metal is more about the music and i do enjoy a few numbers (a lar hle hnuah)otherwise why do u need all the noise for, not for the words hehe

Blind Dayze said...

all the noise....he hee heee..right metal bands i agree..instrument driven...

but that's exactly why i say some of the better "songwriters" in the metal genre..could fall under the unsung category.... ..to me what makes me love a song?.. the music+good lyrics... okay sorry ..i think im going off topic here...

Anonymous said...

Tom Petty is one of my ultimate fav artists. I came to know about him when i was just 10 yrs old, via 'live aid' concert. ( I'm old, i know!!). He's not the usual type of guy a 10 yrs old girl would idolize but i did...and how!

Later on, as i grew older, i realised that its his voice,his music, his song writing skill,his sincerity and his laid-back, down-to-earth attitude thats just so frighteningly attractive and respect-worthy.

btw, i wanted to say this since sometime...thu ziak i thiam khawp mai...and i like the way your mind works!

-pi blackmagicwoman

OpaHmar said...

@Blind Dayze - Certainly, personally I like One by Metallica

@Pi blackmagicwoman - Tom Petty is a definite hall-of-fame material (as a matter of fact he is)from the limited number of songs I have heard
Yup and thanks for ur kind note of appreciation

Anonymous said...

Bit late for a comment, but since you haven't posted anything new yet, here's my 2 cents.
IMHO, I love songs, not songwriters, I love music, not bands, so i guess you get my drift.
But as far as "Mammia Mia" goes, call me gay, but I love "Our last summer", I never knew ABBA performed that. I just loved the lyric, rhyme and tune of the song. Kinda reminds me of years past.. and I guess Colin Firth singing it on the guitar did it complete justice!!